30 July 2009

Tea Time Treat

I've had blueberry muffins before but blueberry cake? Today, I wanted something more substantial, I wanted my share of a decent-sized cake so I came up with this little concoction, a loaf cake, very simple but certainly not plain. Moist but not soggy, crispy on the outside with an almost jam-like, tart, fruity layer at the bottom set off against a fluffy, sweet cake layer at the top. Almost two thirds of it were demolished before it even had time to cool down - need I say more?

Blueberry Loaf Cake

125g butter
175g sugar
2 eggs
175g flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons mascarpone
200g blueberries

Mix butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, then flour and baking powder and a pinch of salt. Loosen the dough with milk, then add mascarpone and fold in the blueberries. Bake in a lined loaf tin c. 45 minutes at 180 C.

Delicious hot or cold - hot wins by a nose, if you ask me.

No comments: