16 September 2009

Beetroot Boy

I am typing this having just served four (or five?) bowls of beetroot soup to Charlie-the-Carnivore. I was astonished and pleased as it is the kind of food I selfishly cook because I like it. Although thinking about it, I can see why such earthy sweet flavours would appeal to a child. My enthusiasm admittedly waned when he declared himself finished, and pushed the last serving onto the floor. It left a lovely red pattern over a large area, and he proclaimed, with great satisfaction in his voice: 'messy'. At the time of writing, floor and boy are clean again and we may call the experience a (be) true(d) success!

1 large beetroot
4 spring onions
2 carrots (I had purple carrots which complement the beetroot in taste and colour)
6 small potatoes
tomatoe puree
creme fraiche
salt
pepper
fresh herbs (I used salvia, rosemary, oregano and parsley)

Slice and fry off the spring onions in a little olive oil. Add the washed and sliced carrots. Peel, slice and add the beetroot. Peel and slice the potatoes, add with enough water to cover the vegetables generously. Add your herbs and a little salt and cook until the vegetables are done; I left it all to simmer at a low temperature while I attended to other matters. When you are ready to eat, add the creme fraiche and tomatoe puree - quantities depend on your tastebuds - and puree until you have a thickish, chunky soup. Season and serve.

No comments: