25 October 2009

My Treasure Box

Look at this. Any idea what's inside? If only you were here, the smell would give it away easily, I could not keep from sticking my nose inside the box every time I walked past to smell wafts of honey-infused fruitiness. Yes, you are right, I am the lucky owner of a whole carton full of quinces. Not to forget pears and medlars which I have neither seen or read about before, imagine my excitement! I unpacked my treasure this morning and started on the first of many happy projects-out-of-this-box.

I had made some sweet short crust pastry last night to make a pineapple tart, only to find that the pineapple had spoiled. So instead, I made a caramelised pear tart to have with our lunch (loup de mer with kohlrabi, courgette and fennel, yummy!). My pears are still somewhat underripe which was perfect for the tart; set off against a custard mixture made with malty muscovado sugar, what can I say... other than it put a huge smile on a certain grumpy person!

Caramelised Pear Tart


For the sweet short crust pastry, mix 120 g flour, 60 g butter, 2 tablespoon icing sugar until you have a crumble mixture and bind with one egg. Rest in the fridge for 30 mins or longer. Bake blind at 200 C for 15 mins, then prick the base with a fork and bake open for another 5 mins at 180 C.

Prepare your filling: mix 150 g of double cream or thick dairy product of your choice with dark muscovado sugar to taste. Add two eggs and slices of peeled and cored pear. I used 5 smallish pears. Pour into the baked pastry case and bake for another 35 mins at 180 C until the sugary custard begin to caramelise.

bon appetit!

No comments: