26 January 2010

Stromboli

Amongst my much appreciated Christmas presents is "Mama's Italian Cookbook - Just like mama used to make" published by Love Food, Parragon Books, in 2009. I've tried a few recipes, and all turned out very well. None more so than 'Stromboli' which I can see myself making over and over again. Essentially, it is a pizza roulade, and unlike similar concoctions made with puff pastry, the pizza dough cooks evenly through. Once cold, the pizza loaf makes a great starter or snack (or lunch, if you happen to be my children).
The following amounts will make a large loaf - the four of us ate half of it for supper yesterday with a tomato, cucumber and avocado salad. The remaining half is disappearing fast... I am nibbling away as I type, so I fear not much will be left by the time I want to have lunch! Obviously, the future will see me experiment with all kinds of different filling, and I can only urge you to have a go as well.

Stromboli
675 g flour
9 g (2 1/2 tsp) dried yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
350 ml luke warm water

100 g Italian salami
200 g mozzarella
270 g roast peppers
basil leaves
black pepper
salt
olive oil

Mix flour, yeast, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, 3 tbsp of olive oil and enough of the luke warm water to make a dough. Knead until smooth, add a little olive oil to a mixing bowl and roll the dough in this until ball-shaped and oil-coated. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place for an hour.

Preheat oven to 220 C. Knead again, and roll out a rectangle the size of your baking tray. Place the filling ingredients on top, season with pepper and roll up firmly from the long side. Pinch the edges together and with a skewer, pierce holes deeply into the pizza roll. Coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for ca. 30 minutes until golden brown.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM that recipe is delicous. I bought a copy of the same book and it has some really good recipe ideas. I've tried them out on my friends, and whilst I might not be Italian, I can sure cook Italian, with a little bit of help from the experts.

Zeralda said...

You should try the cranberry and pine nut biscotti, too! My favourite Italian cookbook, however, remains "The Silver Spoon". It's a massive compendium which provides me with endless inspiration. Check the index for any main ingredient you have and choose from a wealth of recipes. Which are your favourite Italian cook books?

Mrs. B. said...

Wow Zeralda, that looks so impressive! Looks delicious but it doesn't look easy.

Zeralda said...

On the contrary, it is very simple. The dough almost makes itself, just stir everything together and knead (take all your every day stresses out on that lump of dough - knock it about!), a few minutes' action, that's all. Leave to rise, knead quickly again and roll out, it's really no effort. And a child could place toppings on top and roll everything into a roulade. I made it again the other day with cooked ham; next time I'll add toasted pine nuts. Believe me, this is cooking at its laziest.