15 January 2010

Cornish Pasties

Cornish Pasties
Not a quick fix but easy and well worth the effort. This makes ten good-sized pasties. Traditionally, one would use stewing steak for the pasties but I find minced meat - I like a mixture of pork and beef - gives better results. You can substitue lard for part of the butter in the pastry; if you do not have any, all butter is fine.

Pastry:
2 small eggs
1 tsp salt
250 g flour
125 g butter.

Filling:
2 spring onions, chopped
4 carrots, cubed
500 g mince meat

Mix butter and flour until you have a crumble mixture, add salt and bind with the eggs. Rest in the fridge while you prepare the filling. Fry off the spring onion and carrots in olive oil, add the mince. Sweat over low heat until cooked through, season to taste. I think a little English mustard and sweet paprika work well. This makes more filling than you need for the pasties; use the remainder with or without tomatoes on pasta.
Roll out the dough and cut into round circles. Add filling and fold in half, sealing the edges. Cook in a hot oven (200 C) for ca. 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Lovely warm and cold.

2 comments:

Amelia PS said...

Zeralda: I am so glad everyone liked my meat-less ricotta meatballs :)

oh those pasties sound just perfect for a week-night dinner!!! I need to make these soon.

What are your sources for bento recipes? I think I want to start being a bit more creative myself with the kids lunches. Post photos!!!

Zeralda said...

You've evidently found my sources in the entry below... just as well, as I am beyond speech, having just eaten the almond-chocolate cake you wrote about. Eternal bliss!! Possibly the best cake I ever ate - and there I thought the best combination was chocolate, cream and raspberries. How foolish of me. I used even darker chocolate (75%) and hazelnut liqueur. And now I'm in cake heaven... swoon...swoon...