24 April 2010

Roast Potato Salad

I saw a recipe for potato salad with similar ingredients in a magazine, happened to have the basics at home, and set out to design my own version. I boiled the potatoes in advance, and thus was able to wash and assemble the rest of the salad while the potatoes where gently frying in the pan. Maybe I should tell you that in our family, there are two schools of roasting spuds - my husband fries them raw in the oven at a high temperature while I use boiled potatoes which I fry over a medium heat in a frying pan with clarified butter. Both ways produce delicious results but for this salad, I did it my way.

The raw element of this salad consists of rocket and cherry tomatoes. Cut a small head of cauliflower into small florets, and blanch them in salted water for about eight minutes, adding two sliced spring onions towards the end. Drain well, and when the potatoes are done, fry the cauliflower and onion in the remaining clarified butter for a few minutes - add some black sesame seeds and chilli flakes, if you like. Arrange a bed of rocket on your plate, then add cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, and the roast veg. Serve with a vinaigrette dressing - or plain, as tomato juice and butter dress this salad quite nicely already.

No comments: