27 January 2011

My Treat's a Tart


A tart is a decided short-cut to my heart. I've loved them for a long as I can remember, and when I first started baking tarts, Tamasin Day-Lewis became my guru. I am currently re-reading her "Art of the Tart" (don't you love the title?), and took a fancy to a cherry and almond tart. Judging by the picture, I expected a clafoutis in a pastry case, yet how wrong I was. The result was a cherry studded bakewell tart. 

I disagree with her addition of lemon peel to the almond mixture, so I'll give that as optional. I love both lemons and almonds just not together.

Firstly, you need to make a short crust pastry with 120 g flour, 60 g butter, a pinch of salt, an egg yolk and as little water as possible to bind the dough. Press into a flat disk and rest for an hour in the fridge.

At 190 C, bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove weights and brush with beaten egg (you'll need very little, the rest can be used up in the almond dough, so keep it!). Bake for another 10 minutes until golden. Fill two good tablespoons worth of apricot jam in a heatproof dish and stick in with the pastry case, to heat up. Remove both from the oven and spread the jam on the pastry base. Reduce oven temperature to 180 C. Then prepare the almond filling: beat 120 g butter and 120 g sugar together until frothy, add the beaten egg, follow with another. Add 120 g ground almonds, and, if you like, the grated zest of one lemon. 


Place this batter on top of the jam,
and spread out.


Take 400 g or stoned morello cherries and push them into the batter.


That's what I believed the finished cake would look like...

Bake at 180 C for 40 minutes until golden brown. 
Open the oven door and leave to rest for another 15 minutes.


And that's what it looks like after baking!

2 comments:

My Kitchen in the Rockies said...

Hallo Zeralda,
Thanks a lot for your visit and following my blog.
Deiner gefaellt mir auch sehr gut. Very clean look. Der Mandelkirschkuchen ist genau nach meinem Geschmack und geht mit fuer den Sommer. Leider habe ich keine Kirschen mehr im Freezer.
Let's visit soon again.
Liebe Gruesse aus Colorado.
Kirsten

Zeralda said...

Thank you, Kirsten!
Ich war ganz begeistert, als ich Dein Blog entdeckt habe, Chai-spiced granola wird es bald auch bei mir geben!
Herzliche Grüße zurück über den großen Teich,
Deine Annick.